Sunday, December 1, 2013

DAY 169 - (Part 2) - Singing in the Same Norbury Church as My Great-Grandma Clarke

Sept 4 - A "Magical Day" in Roston
The quaint hamlet of Roston is situated in the Parish of Norbury, Derbyshire near Ashbourne and Derby, England.  In the last post, I left everyone hanging, so I will finish our bike day trip.  It was the Perfect Day...not too warm or cool, no rain, no wind, and I had waited for this moment for years.  I was about to embark on meeting the wonderful couple who had bought my family's farm. 

 Meet Joan & William Woodfine whom my parents had met and had a wonderful visit back in 1989.  Bill's great grandfather had leased the farm from my family's estate (the Clarke estate) probably in the 1890's.  His father then bought it in about 1910 with Bill and Joan taking it over around 1940.
   They were so tickled to meet my dad (related to the Clarkes), that they made my parents ring the doorbell and come in again to re-enact the visit.  That video is somewhere and Joan & William said they'd find it for me.  :)
William is 98 years old and remembered so many stories



All I had to go on to find the house was an old photo my mom had taken.  It showed three "chimney" tops on the house and there was another photo of an out-building, so we just had to find the right person who knew the area.  Timothy, who we met in the last post (Norbury Church caretaker), explained how to get to Enid's house.  (He thought she would know about the photo). Enid lived across Dove River in the little hamlet of Ellastone.  We biked there and unfortunately she didn't recognize the old house.  She thought her daughter-in-law, who happened to live next door, might know.  Della was the keeper of the Norbury Church Records, who we wanted to talk to anyway.  She also couldn't recognize the house, but called a neighbor.  He came over and knew right away.  Della made a call to the Woodfines and we were there soon.
The 3-chimneys on top helped to match it with my mom's old photo.

Every farm in this area has a name and it's used in their address.  This is what the Clarke farm used to be called and still is today.
  
Their daughter, Helen happened to be there. 


We're so excited to meet this wonderful English family who live in the original Clarke Home
Rich and I took pictures from every angle.  The right side of the house when facing it is the original farm house and has been added onto several times through the years.



Panoramic view of the Clarke farm house.


The outbuildings have many stories to tell of generations past.

Bill had many stories to tell, but it was a bit hard to understand his English accent and considering he's nearly 100 years old, we were amazed at his recollections of stories.  As a young boy, he remembered the story of my grandmother's brother, John, who was born 40 years earlier than Bill in 1873.  Evidently he came to this barn and stole a horse and cart.  He went and sold it in the city, getting enough money to go to the USA.  He ran off with a local "Scots" girl and left.  I had never heard this story, but I will definitely look into it to learn more. I do know John ended up in Kansas.
      
                           
                            




Looking over to the 60 acres that go with this farm. 

Grandma Esther had letters from her older sisters talking about fox hunting in these hills.




The door/porch that was part of the original house.

Jayne, their other daughter lives close by, also, and came over to meet us.

We all sat and had tea together.

Wish I knew the name of these flowers.
 My Grandma Olson must have gotten her gardening expertise from her grandmother, here at this beautiful farm.  There were such gorgeous flowers and gardens.













These smooth, rounded stones make up the sidewalks.  It was recently re-done and underneath it is a date, unfortunately covered up.  Helen gave me some stones to take as a remembrance of my heritage from these parts.
 OK - I know I'm weird, but I just had to take a photo of me by the old outhouse.  Who knows how old it is, but to think that my ancestors used it and here I am - how exciting is that?

I did take a photo of the inside, too, but I thought that might be a little too much.  HA!

These marble planter bases were hidden near the outhouse.  How old might they be?

 INTO THE HOUSE WE GO
An original door used in one of these additions

Note the wood door that we'll come out at the end of the tour from upstairs.

Such a cute and tidy kitchen.
 I felt so privileged to be able to tour this historic home and that Joan was able lead me through it (with the help of her daughter, Helen.)  Joan had been very sick and was just starting to feel stronger again. 

Another original door

These ladies were very musical.  I wish I could have stayed longer to sing and play music like this home was used to hearing.  My great grandmother, Mary Elizabeth taught singing (maybe piano) and I still have her piano today.  She was born in this home in 1847.  I wonder if my piano traveled across the ocean and maybe used to be here.  I'm not sure, but it's more likely that it was bought in the states and she had it in Kansas.



They even had a keyboard in the same room.


Note the original timber beams, so popular in the English homes of that time.

Every home had a fireplace.  Note the picture of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

You can really see the resemblance of Joan and her daughter, Helen.  Beautiful ladies!
 We went through a narrow door and circular steep staircase to the original large bedroom.  As soon as I entered, I got tears in my eyes.  I felt my great-great grandmother's presence...Dinah Harrison Clarke, as I know she birthed my great-grandmother, Mary Elizabeth, in this very room.

                           
Scrapbooks on the bed as the daughters had been going though photos.

Beautiful Grandfather's Clock - I've always wanted one.

 I turned and looked out the window and imagined the grandmothers before me looking out at the vast green land that was their farm.  It was a beautiful view - so many stories from this very bedroom.  How many babies were born here?  So many generations....But I know for sure that my great-grandmother was and I felt it an honor for me to stand in her presence, even if it was from above.



The view of the Lower House Farm from the 2nd story window

Note the little attic opening that actually had things stored up there. 


 Then I got the surprise of my life!  Joan opened up a scrapbook and showed me a photo of she and Bill and their daughter, Helen, and.....
Yes - look closer - it really is Prince Charles, the next King of England.


I'm not sure of the date - maybe about 20 years ago, but Prince Charles came to this farm to go fox hunting.  There was a reception for him at this farm house.
 I've always had a fascination with the Royal Family, so this was so exciting for me.  I have several letters of my grandma's oldest sister, Annie Louisa writing of the fox hunts and news of the farm.  And now I find out that a VERY famous person comes especially to the farm to do the very same thing.

AND....he doesn't come just once, but twice - maybe more - guess I'll have to find out.
Here are Bill and Joan shaking hands with Prince Charles.  Their daughters are behind them.

This photo looks like it might be a few years later...not sure.
Jayne comes up to join us - they are such a close family.  They both live on the farms next door.  I imagine it was all one big farm at one time.

Another bedroom upstairs on our tour of the home

And here is another one.


Another great view of the grounds from this bedroom.

These original doors are just gorgeous!

What a beautiful bathroom.

"Let's go back downstairs, Mom."

Back to where we started from.

This fireplace area has been here awhile.

15 days after this fabulous day and the wonderful tour Joan gave me through her house, she succumbed to an illness and passed into the next life.  She will sorely be missed by her family.  She also left behind two grand daughters and two grandsons.
What a special lady - thanks Joan for the tour of your beautiful home!  I am a better person for having known you for only two hours, but hearing about you for several years by my mother and father.  Thanks for caring so dearly for this beautiful home.  It's quite a legacy to leave both your posterity and mine.
************
I was ready to go to the famous Church of St Mary and St Barlock where so many relatives are buried in the churchyard.  AND...I was ready to wander where the families of Clarke, Harrison, Wheeldon, and more came from and grew up.  They are MY FAMILY!!  We'll go there in the next post and I promise you'll hear me sing in the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment