Sunday, September 1, 2013

DAY 101 - Edelweiss & the Zoo ...Salzburg (Part 2)

June 28 - More Salzburg Adventures

Our 2nd day of exploration in this beautiful city started with a trip to Untersberg, a peak of the Berchtesgaden Alps, the border of Austria and Germany, by cable car.

Cable Car to Untersberg

UP.....
UP...

And Away....


 We wish it had been as sunny of a day as the day before, but this particular morning there were many clouds.  When we reached the top, it reminded me of the time my daughter, Arianne, and I went to visit the Empire State Building.  It was very cloudy and foggy and we didn't see a thing, but we knew we were there and that's all that mattered.



We met another couple and their son from Australia while in the cable car.  We had fun throwing snowballs and enjoying the "winter weather" here in the Alps in late June.



Brrr...isn't this supposed to be summer?

Hey - who is throwing snowballs at us?

Rich was so disappointed that visibility was zero and he couldn't see the valley below
 We saw so many beautiful flowers in amidst the snow. They were absolutely beautiful.

 


But the most beautiful of all of them was the white Edelweiss.

"Edelweiss, Edelweiss, every morning you greet me..."
The edelweiss is a popular flower in Austria and was featured on the old 1 Schilling coin. It can also now be seen on the 2 cent Euro coin. The flower is protected in Austria and illegal to pick.  (uh-oh)

"Blossom of snow, may you bloom and grow..."
 


We went to the Salzburg Zoo next.  It was free with the Salzburg Card and we're so glad because we saw such different animals.  We had such an enjoyable morning...we had a picnic and were there about three hours.  The names of the animals were in German and we didn't catch very many of them, but enjoy the pictures Rich took.

This litlte guy one of our favorites.  He really entertained us both.  He's called a Tamarin.
"Are you lookin' at me?"

A little boy dropped his cookie shortly after this and the monkey enjoyed  it immensely.

Sorry....I don't have a cookie for you.
 The Flamingo was another of our favorites - they were so fun to watch.
"Come on guys...Let's fly this coop."

"You go that way and I'll go this way."

"Ok, where to go next?  mmm,,,,"

"Your blue coat sure looks yummy"

"What is my destiny?"

"Mirror, mirror on the tree....help me please to be free."

"Whoah...I've never seen this one before.  Maybe it's poisonous."

"This bug looks interesting."

"Thank you for coming today.  Now let us pray."

"Come on guys, come out and greet our guest."


"All I can say is, YUM YUM YUM."

"I sure love this polygamy rule."

"I like to dance for everyone that comes by."

This is my cage.

"They say I'm Queen of the Jungle and they are right."

"WHAT?  You can see me?  Naaahh....."

"I look to the hills when my heart is lonely."

"Come on girls.  Daddy is here!"

OK...I'm stickin' my neck our for you."


"All right, all right - I'll stand guard tonight."



It's the Maus-Haus.  (There really was a house just for mice.)


"Hi...Can you read who I am in German."

This is a very cool beehive house.


"I'm trying to get rid of my double chin...it's just not becoming."


"One is the loneliest number that you've ever heard."

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer true."

"Come on guys - it's CHOW TIME!"

"It looks really scary in there - I don't know."

"High on a hill was a lonely goatherd"

The restroom signs were so cute...this is obviously for handicapped and babies.



What a great time we had at the zoo and it was fun posting these pictures.  I'll have to make a Part 3 in Salzburg as I have yet to show you Mozart's birthplace (Geburtshaus) or all of the Sound of Music sights that we saw.  So...tomorrow I'll post the rest of Salzburg and then on to Switzerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment