Saturday, February 3, 2018

DAYS 17 & 18- Coming Home from the Holy Land!

Jordan to Frankfurt to Toronto to SLC, Utah

John and I left for the airport at midnight to catch our 3 a.m. flight to Frankfurt, Germany.  Here are some photos that I took in the airport.  We hung out there for  quite a few hours.





I remember seeing this on our European trip back in 2013 - MEMORIES!
Germany is famous for Cuckoo Clocks.  I remember picking one up for my parents when I came to Germany for the first time with the American Youth Symphony and Chorus back in 1969.  Oh!  Good memories!

Now to Toronto, Canada, for the last day of my journey.  What a layover it will be!
Since I was to have an 18 hour lay-over in a city I had never been to, I decided to take a train to downtown....even though I had had VERY little sleep the night before on the flight from Jordan.

Toronto is the capital of the Canadian province of Ontario. It is located within the Golden Horseshoe in Southern Ontario on the northern shore of Lake Ontario. With 2,731,571 residents in 2016, it is the largest city in Canada.

I really enjoyed the modern architecture of downtown Toronto!

The CN Tower is a 553.3 m-high concrete communications and observation tower.  It is struck by lightning approximately 75 times each year. 


A panorama view from the CN Tower (pulled off the internet, since I didn't go up into the tower.)

Crazy little guys on top of the roofs of the buildings




I decided to spend some time at the railway museum, walking around the many buildings and warming up in the sunshine.  It was CHILLY, although the skies were bright blue!

The Toronto Railway Museum is dedicated to preserving the physical legacy, history and experience of rail transportation in Toronto and Ontario.


Toronto is a city of high-rises, having 1,800 buildings over 30 metres (98 feet)

Roundhouse Park is a 17 acre park in Downtown Toronto in the former Railway Lands. It features the John Street Roundhouse, a preserved locomotive roundhouse which is home to the Toronto Railway MuseumSteam Whistle Brewing, and the restaurant and entertainment complex The Rec Room

The John Street Roundhouse was built in 1929-31. Following the renovations of the roundhouse in the 1990s, the area to the east of the building became a city owned park named Roundhouse Park in 1997. The Toronto Railway Museum occupies Roundhouse Park and officially opened in 2010. The Museum occupies three stalls of the John St. Roundhouse and features an indoor display, an indoor restoration facility, a full size diesel cab simulator, an outdoor miniature railway, numerous railway engines and rolling stock as well as a fully restored railway village which includes Don Station, Signal Cabin D (with toolshed), a Watchman's shanty, a Water Tower and a coaling tower.












The Toronto waterfront is the lakeshore of Lake Ontario.  It spans 46 kilometers.

A cute garden on the waterfront
Basking in a little sunshine for a nap



AIR CANADA CENTRE...Large arena hosting pro hockey, basketball, and la crosse events.  Everywhere I went, I saw people coming to a game dressed in red.

I went to a little market to get some food and saw many different kinds of mushrooms for sale.

These are NOT real woodpeckers on the post, but they sure looked real!

MORE little people - real modern art all over the place!

Guess I'll settle down for a little "shut eye" in the airport.  Hope I don't sleep through my take-off!


Although these last couple of posts from my Holy Land trip are nearly a year old, memories are vivid and I'll always remember the trip of a life time - to WALK WHERE JESUS WALKED!!

No comments:

Post a Comment