Sunday, November 2, 2014

DAY 10 - Oxford University, Harry Potter & "Wicked" (Part 2)

Sept 12 -Did We REALLY Do This Much in One Day?

 How can 3 Seniors accomplish so much in one day?  For one thing, the boys didn't have any breakfast - they had slept in and then had trouble at the ATM machine.  Me, on the other hand...I always have food on me and I NEVER miss a meal.
So many historic buildings along the way as we drove to Oxford University.

We arrived at Oxford about 2 p.m. and then John told me they hadn't eaten all day.  There was a tour that started at 2:10 and it would be the last one of the day.  I hurried and went to a quick shop and picked up some sandwiches and chips and water.  We ate while the university student started talking about the history of Oxford.
Our tour guide was very knowledgeable as we ate and listened.

Inside one of the cafeterias - gorgeous decor!
 My cousins decided to sit down and wait while I went on the tour.  John had waited too long to eat and wasn't feeling well.




I continued on the tour, but somehow was separated from my group.  I was taking notes and when I looked up, there was a different lady leading the group and taking us into the university.  This was a $12 tour that I got for free.  Oops!!  I don't know what happened to the original group I started with.













I had an amazing dessert with my lunch - I was hoping it was a Bakewell tart, but it turned out to not be.

Contest between two groups - winner gets to paint on the next insignia on the wall.





There are 38 colleges within Oxford University - wow!

On to 'New College' I went where I knew there were a couple of spots filmed in the Harry Potter movies.


This collage poster was seen at the office as I went in.


Gates into a beautiful garden area.


Used as a location in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,  the northwest corner of the cloisters grass quadrangle in 'New College' was a memorable scene.  Under the great Holm Oak Tree, scenes of Mad-Eye Moody turning Malfoy into a ferret were filmed.

This tree is supposedly over 300 years old.

Another view of the tree.
...and another

This should look familiar if you're a Harry Potter fan.



This was in a corridor of the building in the New College.



The Divinity School, Oxford's oldest teaching and examination room, served as Hogwarts infirmary in four films, and where Professor McGonnagal taught students to dance in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The Duke Humfrey's Library was Hogwarts library. Both are located at the Bodleian Library.


Duke Humphey's library, the oldest reading room in the Bodleian Library, was featured as Hogwarts library in Harry Potter.
I didn't have time to go to the library, but I hear it's amazing!

Beautiful ceiling
The Drake Chair, a chair made from the timbers of Sir Francis Drake's ship and given to the library in 1662.
Pretty cool to be here in such a memorable room!~
I saw the Tudor architecture of the grand Dining Hall in Christ Church College which was the inspiration for the set design of Hogwarts Great Hall.


MORE photos from the campus of Oxford...




The church was simply beautiful inside...very impressive!





 

Hertford Bridge, popularly known as the Bridge of Sighs, is a skyway joining two parts of Hertford College over New College Lane. Its distinctive design makes it a city landmark.  It's supposed to resemble the famous Bridge of Sighs in Venice.
The Bridge of Sighs
There is a false legend saying that many decades ago, a survey of the health of students was taken, and as Hertford College's students were the heaviest, the college closed off the bridge to force them to take the stairs, giving them extra exercise. However, if the bridge is not used, the students actually climb fewer stairs than if they do use the bridge. 




Back to the Oxford Town Square to meet our guide.
When we got back to the hotel, it was past 6:00 and the boys decided we should go see another musical show...ok by me!  I stopped on the way to a quick restaurant that I had already eaten at a couple of other times.  My cousins didn't want to be late and thought they weren't hungry.  They went on in and sat down, buying some popcorn for themselves.
A popular food chain in the UK.

I hurried out to go to the show we had chosen - "Wicked"   I realized that I had left my ticket at the restaurant.  Luckily it was still sitting on the counter where I had left it.   WHEW!


I saw this back in 2005 with my youngest daughter in NYC, so I couldn't wait to see it again in London!

Inside the theatre - we were on the 6th row...such great seats!

Emerald City - this scene was on the curtain before the show started.

Great photo of Galinda and Elphaba at curtain call.

I got in trouble for taking photos - hey...it's curtain call!

The guys went for a doner sandwich not far from where our hotel was...guess they were hungry after all!
John says, "Let's go big  brother....this has been a LONG day and I am tired!

LONG day, but what a day!  Thank-you guys for fabulous memories.  By the way, Wicked was absolutely spectacular and just as good, if not better, than the NYC Broadway production I saw 9 years ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment