Thursday, January 2, 2014

DAY 173 - Inverness Inlet - Singing Scottish Songs

Sept 8 - Meeting a True "Scotch"

Inverness is one of the fastest-growing cities in Europe.


We enjoyed looking around before we met Graeme, our next Couch surfing host.  He had purchased a very nice house for quite an inexpensive price and was remodeling it.  He reminded me of my husband, Rich, as he saved EVERYTHING...every scrap of lumber, every piece of plastic, etc.  We were happy to have a place to stay for a couple of days to catch up.

This is my couch and Rich has a mattress on the floor...true couch-surfing.

The kitchen is part of the same area as the living room.

Rich is upstairs painting Graeme's Master bedroom.

Good Job - Well done!!


Meanwhile I did laundry and hung it up on the deck.
View in front of his house - he's planting an orchard with a type of greenhouse around it.
                                


Beautiful wildflowers around his property - he's worked so hard!
                              
I picked a bunch of wild blackberries - YUM!
I cooked dinner for us all.  He was very appreciative.
I made us a blackberry cobbler for dinner.
 
Inlet in front of his house - lots of cool seaweed and lichen at low tide.
 We went for a long walk and the sunset was beautiful.  The area he lives is very quiet and mystical.  It was nice to get away from it all.
...and yet another "Selfie" - we're getting pretty good at this!



 We really enjoyed our walk along the sea with the lights of Inverness on one side, the highlands on the other side.  It was a kind of mystical twilight and very romantic!



 The traditional Scottish folk songs are abundant in my memory.  There are so many of them:  "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean," "The Water is Wide," "Annie Laurie," "Bluebells of Scotland," "Auld Lang Syne," "Did You Ever See a Lassie?"  "Bonnie Banks 'O Loch Lomond - (You take the High road and I'll Take the Low Road)," AND SO MANY OTHERS.
I'm singing all the Scottish folk songs I can remember.
The Scottish poem I used to say to my children when they were younger was "Wee Willie Winkie".
Wee Willie Winkie runs through the town,
Up stairs and down stairs in his night-gown,
Tapping at the window, crying at the lock,
Are you children all in bed, for now it's ten o'clock?  (I changed it to 8:00)  HA!
Time for bed so Rich jumps into his sleeping liner, literally!

No comments:

Post a Comment