Friday, August 9, 2013

UPDATE TODAY - August 8th

It's My Birthday...Best Present EVER!

Since I'm having trouble re-sizing my photos tonight, I will send a quick update on what's happening now. - 2 months later than my blog entries.  I celebrated my birthday today in Rattvick, Sweden, about 4 hours north of Stockholm.  We came here because my ancestors came from here.  I received the best present EVER:  meeting Susanne who lives in my great-great- grandfather's house from around 1850.  She is the first one to buy it a few years ago who is not a member of the family.  Evidently, previous to 2005, it had changed hands to only members of the "OLSON" descendants.  (OLSSON as it's spelled in Sweden).

This little house was moved here from up in the woods.  It was used as a summer house for the women as they stayed there taking care of the cattle grazing up in the higher hills.  One day, Daniel's wife didn't come home, and when he went looking for her, she had a new little baby.  Little Daniel eventually moved to Chicago, where he and his wife lived for years.  They never had any children.
A cousin, Daniel Bohman was born here.

Meet Susanne, who lives here now and Lars, a neighbor who helped me be a "detective" to find the homestead.
 The old barn where the hay was stored up high in the rafters and where the horses and cows stayed, especially in the cold winters.  This door was changed from the original larger door to the smaller one. 
Note the red color that is EVERYWHERE in the community.  The color comes from the copper mines in Falun when everyone started using the color in the early 1800's.
I've had such fun discovering my roots.  I meet tomorrow with my cousin who is Mayor of Rattvick.  We'll be touring inside the old farmhouse.  I'll have all the updates on Day 144, probably in about 6 weeks.  Stay tuned!

               Miss you all dear family and friends and THANKS for the wonderful Birthday greetings.
Love you All,
From Sharon, Shari, Sissy, Auntie, Grandma, Mother-in-Law, and any other name you want to call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment