Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Day 60 - SUNSHINE On My Shoulders Makes Me Happy!

May 18 – How to Get Lost in Venezia (Venice)

We were glad for the PERFECT day to visit Venice! We bought a “vaporetto” pass (a water transit ride) to travel throughout this city for $18 euros each. It was good for 12 hours. 


 We rode and hopped off, rode and hopped off all day. We didn't spend any money for museums or sites, but found enough free things to keep us busy all day.   

Venezia is a city in northeastern Italy situated on a group of 118 small islands separated by canals and linked by bridges. It is located in the marshy Venetian Lagoon which stretches along the shoreline, between the mouths of the Po and the Piave Rivers. Venice is renowned for the beauty of its setting, its architecture and its artworks.

Piazza San Marco & Doge's Palace
 When I went to Venice 44 years ago, I remember two things about Venice:  all the millions of pigeons in Piazza San Marco (Saint Mark's Square) and how dirty and filthy the  streets were along the canals and how it was known that every dwelling dumped their sewage into those canals.  Things have changed tremendously along that line, but the pigeons are still there. 

We didn't even have anything for them to eat.  We just walked into the square and they immediately became our friends. 
                                
Hey little buddy!  Where did you come from?  I have no food...you're pretty dumb!
                                
Come on...You can do it, It's just a little ways. There might be some bread - Your wings you must raise!
One little pigeon sitting on my hand, Open up the other and another one will land.

Two little pigeons...now that's pretty cool!  Down flies another - he's no fool!

OK - I admit it, I was messin' with you all, But we sure had some fun, now away and please don't fall!

Singin' to the birds, now that's pretty sweet.  But there's more all around me...they're even at my feet.
I'm not sure about this - but what can I do?  All I do is stand here, frozen in my shoe!

HELP ME! HELP ME!  One's on my head!  I saw that movie once...don't want to be DEAD!

OK - OK...I guess this is all right.  Turns out they're nice; They don't even bite!

Situated on the Adriatic Sea, Venice always traded extensively with the Byzantine Empire and the Muslim world.  By the late 13th century, Venice was the most prosperous city in all of Europe.  During this time, Venice's leading families vied with each other to build the grandest palaces and support the work of the greatest and most talented artists.







I wondered how all these buildings could be built on top of the water and still last through all these years.  The buildings of Venice are constructed on closely spaced wooden piles. Most of these piles are still intact after centuries of submersion. The foundations rest on the piles, and buildings of brick or stone sit above these footings. The piles penetrate a softer layer of sand and mud until they reach a much harder layer of compressed clay.  Submerged by water, in oxygen-poor conditions, wood does not decay as rapidly as on the surface. Most of these piles were made from trunks of alder trees.





Oh to be on a gondola with your loved one - how romantic!
Mi amore

They say one should “get lost in Venice” and we did just that. In fact, I suggested we play a game: Whenever we came to an intersection, Rich and I would take turns asking each other questions. If the answer was “yes”, we'd turn right and if the answer was “no”, we'd turn left. We ended up in some fun places and got lost many times.....great fun!
I'm LOST in Venice!  It's what I've always dreamed about!
OK - I always squint for the pictures because I have taken off my sunglasses.  And I always wear a hat because I am super-sensitive to the light and today it is sunny & beautiful!



 Whenever I find a church, I LOVE to go inside.  They are all so beautiful...nothing like it in America.

 We went into a free museum - "Museuo della Musica" and of course I so enjoyed that!  This year is not only the year of Wagner, but Venice seemed to be celebrating Antonio Vivaldi as well with many displays and music of his.

The Stradivarius Violins and a shoppe where they actually made them!
 I love it when we get lost...we find the greatest places to visit  Here is a small concert hall - it would have been fantastic to actually hear a concert played here.


 Burano was less crowded and very unusual. The only thing that brings tourists to this little island (about 20 minutes by water taxi from St. Mark's) is the glass industry.  Every shop in town sold blown glass works. The demonstrations we watched were so interesting.
Such beautiful glass works!

This young man gave us a wonderful demonstration.  He is taking over his father's business.

I wish I could take some home with me, but do you think they would break in my backpack?

Teresa bought pizzas for us all – we enjoyed eating together with Giovannni and Elisa, too.  Sylvia was gone, however, as she spent the weekend with Mick in Trieste.  We leave tomorrow and meet up with them for the day.

Vegetarian Pizza - our favorite!

Cheese Pizza - Jeremy, this is YOUR favorite!  Right?

A universal gesture....thumbs UP - bravo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment